Feel free to reach out to us about any questions you might have. Below are some of the questions that our clients ask us most frequently.

+ How do I create an account in the client portal?

Email us at clientservice@gersteintaxservice.com if you are interested in using the client portal. We will email you a link that you can use to create an account.

+ How do I retrieve my password for the client portal?

Click the “Client Portal” link at the top right corner of our webpage. Underneath the Login space, there is a “Forgot Password?” link. This will open up a new window, where you will enter your login (i.e. username) and email address. A temporary password will be sent to your email address on file with instructions of how to update.

+ Do I have to come in person to get my taxes done?

Only if you want to! We have the capability to complete your return remotely. The intro meeting can be a phone call (or email exchange); afterward, you can transfer all the information we need through our secure on-line portal. So, if you’re traveling abroad or located across the country, we can still provide you with a seamless experience.

+ What if I receive another tax form after I've filed my return?

If you've already e-filed or mailed your return to the IRS or state taxing authority, you'll need to complete an amended return. You can file Form 1040X (and any other amended forms) by giving us a call at 718-499-8352, emailing us at clientservice@gersteintaxservice.com or uploading the forms to our client portal

+ How long do you keep my tax information on file?

We may retain or use your information as necessary to comply with our policies, legal obligations, dispute-resolution protocol, and to enforce our agreements. However, in all cases, the IRS requires us to retain filed tax returns for a period of at least three years.

+ What paperwork should I bring to my initial tax interview?

Below is a list of documents to bring with you to your tax interview.


  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Card /ITIN/ATIN
  • Copy of Prior Year’s Tax Return
  • Valid Identification (i.e. Driver's License)


  • W-2’s
  • Interest (1099-INT or substitute)
  • Dividend Slips (1099-DIV or substitute)
  • Stock Sales (1099-B or Broker Statement)
  • Self-Employment Income and Expenses
  • Gains/Income from sale of a Personal Residence
  • Rental Income and Expenses
  • Sale of any Business Assets
  • Gambling or Lottery Winnings (W-2G for some winnings)
  • State Income Tax Refund (1099-G)
  • Pension Income (1099-R)
  • Estimated Taxes Paid
  • Social Security or Railroad Retirement (SSA-1099 or RRB-1099)
  • IRA or 401(k) Distribution (1099-R)
  • Unemployment Compensation (1099-G)
  • Miscellaneous Income (1099-MISC)


  • Medical Expenses
  • Real Estate or Personal Property Taxes
  • Mortgage Interest
  • Charitable Contributions (Cash and Non-Cash)
  • Employee Business Expenses
  • Gambling Losses
  • Moving Expenses
  • Traditional IRA Contributions
  • Higher Education Expenses
  • Educator Expenses
  • Student-Loan Interest Paid


  • Child Care Provider/Address and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Adoption Expenses
  • Retirement Savings Contributions Credit

+ How can I check the status of my refund?

The 'Where's My Refund' tool on the IRS website provides the most up-to-date information regarding the status of your refund. This tool is updated every 24 hours. We have included a link to that webpage as well as where to check your state refund status under the "Refund Status" tab of our website.


We built an on-line portal so that clients could safely and securely send data to us, and so that we could transmit secure documents to clients quickly and efficiently. Transmitting documents through this medium allows you to communicate with us remotely from anywhere at anytime, with no mailing involved. In addition, you can use the portal to schedule meetings with us and chat with us on-line.

As to the content that’s on-line, it’s up to you! You decide what information you’d like us to have, which you upload onto the site. We can then download those documents to complete your return, and upload a copy of your tax return and other documents you need so that you can download, ensuring a more seamless client experience for you. As your relationship with us builds over time, you’ll have a historical record of your tax returns and other tax documents at your fingertips.

At the same time, there’s no requirement that you use our client portal. If you’d rather just get emails from us or receive hard copies of documents in the U.S. mail, that's fine.

+ What programs do you use to keep my information secure and private?

Our software requires multi-factor authentication before accessing any client information. When transmitting data to clients, all sensitive information is either password-protected when sent via email or (if the client wishes) uploaded to our secure portal, which the client can only access with his or her username and password.

+ What is the deadline for filing my personal taxes?

Your personal tax return, also known as a 1040, is due on April 15th of every year. By this date, each taxpayer must file either their return or an extension. If an extension is filed, the taxpayer has until October 15th of that year to file their return. Note that filing an extension does not absolve the taxpayer from making a payment for an amount due on their taxes. Any amounts due must be paid by April 15th, along with the extension, or the taxpayer is potentially subject to interest and penalties on the amount due. We can help you file an extension, as well as a return, and make the necessary payments due.

+ Is it bad to file an extension?

It is not, as long as you take the necessary steps. Filing an extension is necessary and useful for a variety of reasons, including taxpayers who are waiting on specific tax documents (such as K-1's or 1099's) or giving yourself extra time to make retirement contributions (such as a SEP plan or solo 401k). In order to file an extension correctly, the extension must be filed by the tax deadline (April 15th) AND any amount of tax owed to the taxing authority must be paid. We can help work with you to make this tax payment and avoid interest and penalties.